How To Get a Social Security Card Name Change

If you legally change your name because of marriage, divorce, court order or any other reason, you need to tell Social Security so that you can get a card that reflects your SSA name change. If you are working, also tell your employer. Requesting a replacement card with your new name or number can take about 10 business days, or you can ask for a temporary social security card printout.

Documents Required for a Social Security Name Change

In order to get an updated name on your social security card, you will need to provide documentation that proves you are a U.S. citizen, proves your legal name change, and proves your identity. This is part of your Social Security Responsibility to update your personal information.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. The social security office will not accept photocopies, notarized copies of documents or receipts showing you applied for the document. Social Security may use one document for two purposes, such as using your U.S. passport as proof of both citizenship and identity. However you are still required to provide at least two separate documents. This page assumes you are an adult and a US citizen.

Documentation for U.S. Citizenship

Only certain documents are accepted as proof of U.S. citizenship. These include a U.S. birth certificate or a U.S. passport. This documentation is only required if you have not already established citizenship with the SSA.

Documentation to Prove Identity

Certain documents are accepted as proof of identity. An acceptable document must be current and show your name, identifying information, which includes date of birth or age, and preferably a recent photograph. Some example documents used for proof of identity Social Security would be a US driver's license, State-issued non-driver identification card or a US passport.

If you do not have one of these specific documents or you cannot get a replacement document within 10 days then they will ask to see other documentation which may include an employee ID card, School ID card, Health insurance card (not a Medicare card) or a US military ID card.

Documentation of Legal Name Change

If you need to change your name on your Social Security card, you must show them a recently issued document as proof of your legal name change. Documents that may be accepted to prove legal name change are marriage documents, divorce decree, Certificate of Naturalization showing a new name or court order for a name change.

If the document you provide as evidence of a legal name change does not give enough information to identify you in their records or if you changed your name more than two years ago, you must show an identity document in your prior name. This is to protect your Social Security information so that nobody can take your current federal benefits from you. The SSA will accept an identity document in your old name that has expired. If you do not have an identity document in your prior name, they may accept an unexpired identity document in your new name, as long as they can properly establish your identity in their records.

The Social Security Name Change Form

Once you have the necessary documents the next step would be to print out the social security name change form and fill it out. You will need your Social Security number to complete this form. Once you fill it out and print it you need to then either take it to your local social security office or mail it to the office. You can find the document here, Social Security Application Form. If you have questions or issues about correcting your new social security card then you need to contact your local social security office.